"Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of 'touching' a man's heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it." --G.K. Chesterton

Monday, November 21, 2011

A note of appreciation


First off, a big "Welcome" to all of you who have been redirected to this blog from our old, campaign-oriented website. We'll be using this site, along with our Facebook page, as our primary means of communication in the near future.
Next, please allow me to thank each and every one of the more than 7,000 Coquitlam residents who cast their votes for me and, by so doing, put their trust in me. I truly appreciate your confidence in me, and promise to work diligently to live up to your expectations.
A big "thank-you" also goes out to the dozens and dozens of people who contributed to my campaign: the "burma-shavers," the lawn-sign planters, the phoners, the e-day teams, the generous donors, the advisors, and the scores of good folk who showed their support in so many wonderful ways. Thank you!
A special thank-you to my wife, Mary, for her encouragement, work, and constant companionship. I could not have done it without her. Thanks, as well, to our two sons, who, while both several thousand kilometres away, still provided me with much support. Thanks, guys! I can hardly wait til Christmas, when we can all celebrate together.
Thanks, also, to the many brothers, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nephews, nieces, parents and parents-in-law, who were so supportive. You mean the world to me.
Congratulations to my fellow Councillor-elect, Craig Hodge. I look forward to working with him, and all the incumbents who won.
A special tip-of-the-hat to Doug Macdonnell, a long-serving councillor of great repute who did not win re-election. He should be proud of your record on council. And I wish him great good fortune in the years to come. As well, my best wishes also go out to Barry Lynch, who also will no longer be serving on council. Good luck!
I also want to congratulate and thank all the other candidates who worked so diligently but were not rewarded with a seat on council. As one who travelled the campaign trail with them, I know how hard they worked and how passionately they felt about the job, and can truly appreciate how disappointed they now must be. I hope they keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment